I do think there’s a metric ton you can do with words on screen that’s impossible on paper. For the most part it’s unexploited.
Rejoice! The NY Asian Film Festival comes around again. A quick history so far:
- 2006 (while visiting Caitlin) had the life-changing Funky Forest, the solid Linda! x 3 and the supremely-titled Oh! My Zombie Mermaid.
- 2007 I was in London, so getting to the venues was problematic.
- 2008 was memorable for the devastating sweetness of the Tokyo… films (where I won the signed poster), and Tarantino mucking about in Sukiyaki Western Django (where I won the water pistol, later to be fuelled with bourbon).
After hacking through the schedule superlatives I’ve booked tickets for these shows, so feel free to ping me if you’d like to come along:
- 20th Century Boys (part 1 on June 21, part 2 on July 4)
- The Warlords (23rd)
- Yoroi: Samurai Zombie (26th)
- Five Deadly Venoms (28th)
- Hard Revenge Milly (30th)
- The Magic Hour (July 1st)
- Love Exposure (3rd)
Phew. Then after that it’s the Revisiting Tarkosvky series at the Lincoln Center. A good time for cinema.